Tuesday, July 19, 2011

tomato alfredo portabella lasgne...


I made this and "messed up" this evening. It sure looks yummy this way, so I will probably continue to make it "wrong". The recipe calls for spaghetti sauce on top, and I put the Alfredo there...makes it look creamy and melty, so I think I'll keep it!

9 pieces lasagne
1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen spinach
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded mozarella cheese
1 c. (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c. (1/2 of 16 oz. jar) Alfredo sauce
1/2 lb portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/4 pieces
1 1/2 c. (14 oz. jar) spaghetti sauce
Grated parmesan cheese (optional) --I use grated NOT powdered parmesan cheese!

(NOTE: I used 10 oz. fresh spinach, chopped up. Also I used ricotta cheese this time. If I did it again with fresh spinach, I would slightly steam it in the microwave first, just to wilt it down to take up less space in the baking dish when layering.)

Instructions:
Heat oven to 375F. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. (I always add olive oil to the water to keep pasta from sticking together.) Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stire together spinach, 1 1/4 c. mozzarella cheese, feta (or ricotta) cheese, and egg until well blended. In 13x9 baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of Alfredo sauce; place 3 pasta pieces lengthwise over sauce. Spread one-half spinach mixture evenly over pasta; layer one-half mushrooms over spinach mixture. Spoon one-half spaghetti sauce over mushrooms; place 3 pasta pieces on top. Repeat with layer of spinach mixture and mushrooms, then remaining Alfredo sauce (I used spaghetti sauce here). Top with remaining pasta; spread remaining spaghetti sauce on top (I used Alfredo here), cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes; remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining mozarella, and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake 10 more minutes until hot and bubbly, let stand 5 minutes before serving.

8-10 servings.

*I really liked it with the fresh spinach, rather than frozen. Also, I mixed in all of the mozarella into the spinach mixture, so I only used Parmesan on top of the Alfredo sauce. It had a really good flavor like this. The first time I made it, I followed the directions exactly and it turned out great too. I used ricotta because I bought it instead of feta and was already boiling the lasagne when I realized my mistake. I tend to ad lib on recipes, which works for me but may not for you. Good luck!

**Due to a friend mentioning that she was eating low-carb, I suggested that she use long, thin slices of zucchini in place of the pasta. I think that would taste great, and be much healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment